Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Shortened Tale of My Summer Internship

The end of the summer is here and I feel that I have learned more then I could have thought possible in 8 weeks. As the summer progressed I had a week by week page (EIGHT TO FIVE) that goes into detail about everything that I was able to be a part of this summer.

Here is an overview of everything that has happened since day 1:

One the first day I came in I was put to the task of getting the material boards and rendered elevations ready for a client meeting at the beginning of the following week. (It was slightly on the overwhelming side, but I had a lot of fun with it) This took a lot of time and involved ordering many samples. That part of the project alone took every available hour of the first week.

It never slowed after that. Once that step was finished the pace kept going into the second week were I got to help with another project. This project was a restaurant renovation as corrections came up on the documents of things that needed to be added or removed I was tasked with fixing those documents. I also did the same for the construction sheets for the project that I had made the material boards for. Both of these projects took up all the time at the beginning half of the summer.

As the restaurant renovation project came to an end other little projects started to pop up that I was able to help with. One was the floor plan and rendered perspective view for a project proposal. Another project was for a VCT floor pattern for the entrance lobby of a school. And another was adding notes to the progress set of a project that involved multiple buildings.

Other things would come up throughout the summer from researching information and making phone calls to just helping with other needs around the office such as printing, coping or bringing mail and packages to be shipped and keeping the materials library nice and organized.  And it seems like every week there was one or two different sales representatives that would come in with lots of information on all kinds of products. Through doing all of these different tasks I got to work with a group of really amazing people and the amount of work and different people that is all involved in the completion of these projects.



The Material Library that I spent a lot of time organizing, cleaning and searching through:

The containers on the top shelf are filled with fabrics that where once all in a pile. I spent an afternoon sorting through them and putting them together by colors. It made things so much easier to find when searching for fabrics to match a certain scheme.

We started the summer with one table in the middle, but things got so busy we had to put in a second one.



                 The material boards that I started the Summer off with:

The first day I walked in and this table was covered in materials, samples, pictures and sticky notes. (there was no table to be seen underneath the samples) By the end of the week all those samples where organized onto four boards to be sent shipped to a meeting with a client. These boards survived two airplane trips ( there and back again).








No comments:

Post a Comment